Wednesday, September 16, 2009

Fallen Angel

My lastest work! This was an assignment I did for Hyde Park Review of Books’ relaunch issue. (The Hyde Park Review of Books critiques promising poetry, fiction, and nonfiction from small, medium, independent and University presses. They also publish interviews, reportage, essays, and audio/visuals on bookculture and they've been featured in Utne Reader, Wired Magazine, McSweeney’s Internet Tendency, and Arts & Letters Daily).

Theme: surrealist (ghost, Angel, papier-mache submarines, talking shoes, etc). Mood: sadness, lost, darkness and fear. I was really excited when I saw 'Angel' in the list. For those of you who have been following my blog, you should know about my extreme obsession with Angels. Needless to say, I picked Angel to work on.

rough sketch after some brainstorming..(this Angel looks as though she has got hairy legs! Haha!!)


This time I tried something different from my previous works. Instead of working solely on watercolor or pen technique, I did a mix media - watercolor and pen (plus a bit of photoshop).
water color for the background
pen on the Angel and other parts of the drawing. Finally, a touch of white (on her body/ wings) and red with photoshop.





















she is broken, lost and sad...

















What do you think of the finished product? I was hoping to try a full watercolor medium some time later. And perhaps add a few drops of tears on her face? (I hate datelines.. Argh!)

*Pls do not use any of the above image without my permission. Thank you.

8 comments:

cabin + cub said...

Like how you used ink and wash in this one with the red highlights. She is sad, yet very cute. :)

koralee said...

I adore your finished product....you have more talent in your little finger than I have in my whole body!(does that make sense...I forget how that saying goes...you know what I mean) Thank you for all your lovely comments you leave on my blog! You are such a dear!

Impossible Alice said...

Oooh! I love love love her!

Pili said...

Wow, I love to see how the whole process has gone!
And she looks totally heartbreaking... very powerful, made me sad!

devonrose said...

beautiful and heartbreaking!

designs-made-easy said...

lovely designs... they have such a dreamlike quality to them... beautiful

Holly said...

She came out GORGEOUS! I love the concept of fallen angels, or any angels for that matter. I am very impressed by the way you combined your techniques to make this look amazing. I love the fact that her face is hidden too. It definitely adds a touch of sadness and despair to the finished product. So lovely!

Unknown said...

hi rheea! love this. the colour and the style and the feeling ... great job!